Bottle Rocket B

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: -

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Postby andrewwski » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:57 pm

1/3 indeed was the sweet spot for me with the 1L bottles a few years ago. But that's really something you should optimize yourself for best performance. Not very difficult to get data on.
Please read Forum Rule #2:
2. Posts should have a legitimate purpose.

Sasher Applesauce
Division: B
State: MD

Postby Sasher Applesauce » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:17 pm

calgoddard wrote:The current wiki for this event on this web site seems to paraphrase the 2011 rules at the beginning in stating that 1L bottles will be used, and then later on it discusses a so - called "standard design" that uses a 2L bottle.

This is a little confusing. I don't know if we should be experimenting with 1L bottle rockets or 2L bottle rockets. Bottle rocket design considerations are seriously affected by the type of bottle.

i seriously dont know but i think it is 2L because they are more common
How to blow stuff up: BLOW IT UP!!!!!
:twisted: :twisted:
HA HA
:twisted: :twisted:
Image Image

Bubba1960
State: MD

Postby Bubba1960 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 pm

People used all kinds of bottles last year. See the image gallery.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own ~ Adam Savage
North Bethesda Middle School

robotman
Site Admin
Site Admin
State: TX

Postby robotman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Sasher Applesauce wrote:
calgoddard wrote:The current wiki for this event on this web site seems to paraphrase the 2011 rules at the beginning in stating that 1L bottles will be used, and then later on it discusses a so - called "standard design" that uses a 2L bottle.

This is a little confusing. I don't know if we should be experimenting with 1L bottle rockets or 2L bottle rockets. Bottle rocket design considerations are seriously affected by the type of bottle.

i seriously dont know but i think it is 2L because they are more common

Your pressure vessel must be a 2L (3.a)

cvmsrocksyoursocks
State: CA

Postby cvmsrocksyoursocks » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:08 am

so what can we use and not use....

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Read the rules! That is the only official source for that information - don't get misled by anything else! If you haven't obtained and read the rules, you need to do so before starting work on the event.

calgoddard

Postby calgoddard » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:29 pm

My post quoted above was dated Agusut 22, 2010, BEFORE the official 2011 rules were published.

The 2011 BOTTLE ROCKET rules require that the "[r]ocket pressure vessels must be made out of a single 2-liter plastic carbonated beverage bottle."

cvmsrocksyoursocks

Postby cvmsrocksyoursocks » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:53 am

so would I be able to do the following....to poke a few holes into it to make air go inside and keep it floating longer (I won't poke holes into the actual bottle, just the nose cone thing....also where would u say is the best place to put the fins and how many)

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:52 am

I don't see anything that prevents you from poking holes into a nose cone or any other part than your pressure vessel (make sure you fit the definition of a blunt nose cone).

But poking holes isn't going to keep it up longer. Doesn't effectively increase your drag. You really want to ensure that your rocket tumbles or falls horizontally. Read up on "backsliders" - you want your CoG (Center of Gravity) to be closer to your CoP (Center of Pressure) - this will cause it to fall more irregularly than going nose-first.

cvmsrocksyoursocks

Postby cvmsrocksyoursocks » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:16 am

I'd like to try to have it come down the way it goes up and then make sme fins that are kind of like parachutes, except they don't move

bcsimons
Division: C
State: NC

Gliders

Postby bcsimons » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:02 pm

I was wondering if anyone has really experimented in building this into a glider?

I'm working on a couple right now and havent tested yet, but my main concern is the bottle stalling as it falls on its side. Has anyone figured out if this happens or if there is a way to take care of it?
Cleveland HS SO President 2011. Remote Sensing, Storm the Castle, Write it-Do it, Bottle Rocket.

bcsimons
Division: C
State: NC

Gliders Test

Postby bcsimons » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Well I tested my first 2. Didnt go to well one i accidentaly blew the wings off :0 the other i launched and it went about 10 feet up and shot straight out like a missile and kind of glided into the ground 30 feet away. Both only lasted about 3-5 sec. Got a long way to go :)
Cleveland HS SO President 2011. Remote Sensing, Storm the Castle, Write it-Do it, Bottle Rocket.

AlphaTauri
State: PA

Postby AlphaTauri » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:50 am

My friend and I tested a couple rockets over the summer...the best we got was about 7 seconds (with a 2-liter Coke bottle, fins/nosecone made of paper and packing tape, and at around 50 PSI according to the gauge on the bike pump). I think it went about 60 feet up on average (key word: think, I'm horrible at estimation), and thankfully, no lawn darts.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009-2014

DON'T FORGET TO BE STELLAR

coterotie
State: AL

Postby coterotie » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Anyone have any firm idea on what constitutes a change of shape?

I'm not saying this would necessarily work, but say folding flaps that are held flat in place by drag, that then unfold to provide drag on the way down?

wlsguy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Postby wlsguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:40 pm

coterotie wrote:Anyone have any firm idea on what constitutes a change of shape?

I'm not saying this would necessarily work, but say folding flaps that are held flat in place by drag, that then unfold to provide drag on the way down?

I think that would qualify as both a change in shape and the deployment of a recovery system, both of which are prohibited. A good general guideline would be if it looks different when it comes down than when it went up, it had to change shape.

Return to “2011 Building Events”